Friday, April 24, 2020

April's Feature Book: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


            Victorian literature is as familiar to me as modern literature. I've been curious how early twentieth-century literature bridged the gap between then and modern works. This month I have done some exploring. I believe nearly everyone is familiar with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. This children's book has long been on my must-read list. I heard that there were differences between the book and the 1930s Judy Garland movie, which came as no surprise. What movie hasn't made changes to its source? For this month, I decided to experience the world of Oz firsthand.

            The book read differently than most novels because, after all, it is a children's book. I especially liked the childlike reasoning in this one. It is very black and white. Right is right and most things boil down to common sense. What an average adult might overthink, the characters shrug off as a simple fact. Where an adult might not think twice, the book raises questions that can stop a reader in their tracks. Reading became interesting because my notions of things were turned upside down by the reasoning in the story.

            Another part I adore about children's books is the lack of limits on imagination. The suspense of belief is easier for children; it makes room for so many possibilities. Unique creatures, color, and magic filled the book and brought it to life. What makes it better is the little bit of reality mixed in. It blurs the lines between real and make-believe to the point that it feels possible when you read it.

            The moral of the story is simply making do with what you have. The four friends all had exactly what they wanted the whole time. They only needed to realize that and use it. Dorothy had the means to reach Kansas the whole time in the magical silver shoes she wore. The Scarecrow was brilliant, but never realized how smart he was. The Tin Woodsman had a big compassionate heart despite thinking he had none. The Cowardly Lion had great courage but allowed his fear to make him believe otherwise. There is nothing wrong with desiring something. But it is important to realize that what we have is valuable too. As with the book’s characters, it's simply untapped potential until we discover it.

            I've read that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is symbolic and acts as an allegory. I'll admit, it had a little bit of an allegorical feel to it. If it is supposed to be symbolic though, I didn't catch any of the meanings. I would expect anything symbolic to be straightforward so that a child could see it. The story might very well be allegorical; but for me, it was simply a fun novel to read.

            So, I have to ask the age-old question. Do you think the book or the movie is better? What do you think of the changes the movie makes? Honestly, I like the book better because the plotline seems more straightforward and gives a more definite ending to each character’s story. At the same time, I like the contrast because I can see where the story was changed to better relate with the movie's 1930s audience. The point is the same and just as applicable no matter what year it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment