Thursday, May 28, 2020

May's Feature Book: The Thread That Runs So True

            If you have been reading these literature posts, you might have noticed a trend by now. I will gladly admit I have a weakness for 19th century British literature. This month I decided to be adventurous by reading an American classic from 1949 titled The Thread That Runs So True. This book is an autobiography by Jesse Stuart that focuses on his work in education in eastern Kentucky. Mr. Stuart was passionate about changing every child’s life through education. Through his book, he hoped to open America’s eyes to both the value of education and the struggles of the teachers trying to provide it.

            This is a book I’m glad I chose. Not only did it take me in a completely different direction in subject matter, but it also reminded me of how blessed I am. Recently, I was complaining that I wasted my time getting a degree. Mr. Stuart showed me that no education is a waste of time. With the complexities of this world, it is easy to forget how valuable some things are. Mr. Stuart's love for education comes through his writing and it’s infectious.

            Jesse Stuart never intended to make teaching his career, but life is good about throwing someone a curveball. In Mr. Stuart’s case, it was a good thing both for him and his county’s education system. He dedicated many years of his life to making sure all children had an opportunity to learn. Sometimes that meant teaching but at other times it meant going to court to fight the corruption of the county’s educational system. Kentucky wasn't always very welcoming of his help, and yet he continued to offer it. He believed that education was what would preserve their children's livelihood and freedom.

            Even though the focus of the book is Jesse Stuart’s experiences as a teacher, there are two other themes that I noticed while I read. The first is to stand up for what’s right. He wasn’t willing to just go with what was, accept people’s reasonings, or let someone else handle it. He knew what he was seeing was wrong and he did something about it. He armed himself with facts and he wouldn’t back down. Because of him, teachers and students had someone representing them and the problems they faced.

            The second theme is the benefits of hard work. Mr. Stuart worked for everything; he truly earned every success he had. His education took years to complete because he worked for it. He gave his all to every position he held. And he also passed on his work ethic to his students, even if they didn’t realize it. Impossible wasn’t a word in his vocabulary, and frankly, I find that admirable. Technology allows people to achieve things so much easier, and I’m not sure that is always a good thing.

            The Thread That Runs So True offered plenty of inspiration and thought for me, and I hope it will do the same for you. Jesse Stuart also devoted his life to writing along with education. He wrote many short stories and poems that you might also find enjoyable. What do you think of Jesse Stuart and his fight for education? Do you agree with his ideals and methods?

No comments:

Post a Comment