Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Descriptions in Fiction


            Over the last six months, I have learned much from fiction writing. This novel-writing attempt looks like it might be successful. I now have just over 10,000 words. Previously, I talked about what I was learning as I sketched a cast of characters. I am now several scenes into my story and am realizing that there is much to learn about other types of descriptions.

            Describing action is one type that can be difficult. I can think about a scene and see it unfold in my head. It is another matter to put what I am picturing down on paper. I want to describe the action so that the reader can see what I am seeing and be able to enjoy the story. I can say that a character is speaking. But how is he talking? What is his facial expression? His body language? It can completely change the meaning of his words based on what he's doing. For me, the difficulty is capturing every detail I see in my mind. However, I am learning that details are especially important with one of my supporting characters. If I only put down her words without anything else, she doesn't come across as the kindest person. I need her facial expressions, her tone of voice, and her hand gestures to show that she means no harm by her words. She is simply passionate and extroverted.

            Another form of description that I have been wrestling with is the characters' environment. I might be able to see exactly where the characters are and what is going on around them, but the readers can't unless I tell them. I tend to focus on the dialogue when I am writing and forget about the surroundings. The setting is imperative because it affects the characters and what they are doing. For instance, in my opening scene, the main character is annoyed with the crowds around him and what he considers childish behavior. That is only going to make so much sense unless I make it clear that the opening scene occurs at a masquerade ball.

            The main question I have struggled with as I write these descriptions is what counts as enough. Too much description will bog down my story and bore readers. Not enough will make the story vague and confuse readers. How do I find an equilibrium in description writing? As usual, I turn to published authors to discover an answer. Some books like Thomas Hardy's are so filled with descriptions that it can feel like a chore to read the book. The descriptions do make a very detailed and vivid picture but require effort on the reader's part. On the other hand, I've read some books that are so sparse on descriptions that I constantly find myself thinking, "Wait! What? Where did that come from? Has that always been there?"

            Based on the books I have read and studied, I think that going with descriptions through the eyes of the characters is the best way. Allow the reader to see whatever the character sees but not that much more. By doing so, I feel like I’m including what is critical to the character's story without adding in a lot of trivial details that mean nothing to what the character is doing. I imagine at some point I will reach a part where I’ll need to describe something that doesn’t seem important at first, but I’ll make those decisions when I get to them. Time will tell how my descriptions will fare, but I’m hoping I have found a good amount that makes the story come alive for more people than just me.

            In addition to thinking about things through the character's eyes, I have also picked up a few other tricks to help. First, pictures are a lifesaver. Even if I can imagine what a scene or character looks like, a picture can be beneficial. I can study that picture and pick out which details are important enough to include. Going by mental images might not allow the same amount of accurate details. Accuracy is another point. A picture that I can save helps me stay consistent as I return to certain scenes.

            Another thing I find works well is talking. Describing something out loud helps me figure out what works and where I might have holes in my descriptions. Talking it out forces me to fully explain what I can easily gloss over in my head. As I talk, I sometimes compare it with examples from reality to consider what might make it more believable and clearer to the reader. I suppose one could describe scenes to another person who can ask questions, but I have yet to get that brave.

            As your writing descriptions for your fictional story, I hope some of my discoveries will help you out. If you have any tips for writing excellent descriptions, please mention them in the comments. I’m always ready to try out new ideas. Whether this novel experiment works out or not, I have learned a great deal about writing because of it. Writing is a completely different thing from editing. If I didn’t believe that before, I certainly do now. I’m developing a healthy appreciation for the patience, talent, and effort that authors put into their stories.

2 comments: