Wednesday, February 26, 2020

February's Feature Book: Little Women


            If you have been paying attention to popular culture or been to the theaters lately, you probably know about the newest version of Little Women. Discussions with my brother about this new version got me thinking a lot about both the book and the author’s intentions. My questions soon led to my rereading the book. I last read it in elementary school, though I never reached the ending, and have seen four of the movie adaptions. It seemed like the perfect time to renew my acquaintance with the March family. Little Women has been loved by many both in book form and its subsequent movie adaptions. I believe one reason everyone loves the March sisters is how relatable they are. One can usually find a reason to sympathize with at least one of the four girls.

            I thought I was simply reading a book, but it turns out I was in for a few revelations. Three aspects especially surprised me. Only, keep in mind with my following remarks that I have not seen the new movie and know nothing about its contents. The characters were one aspect that surprised me. Movies can be more limited than books and can’t tell a story in the same way. I was taken aback when I realized that the movies completely cut out several characters. My biggest shock was that Aunt March does not have a sole reign! In the book, she is joined by Aunt Carroll. Even more shocking are the additional Uncle Carroll and Cousin Flo. Amy's European tour completely changes with Aunt March's absence. There is also Esther, a maid at Plumfield who makes more than a small impression on Amy. My memory might be fuzzy, but I do not recall Fred Vaughn from any movies. I think it would be worth mentioning that Amy had a marriage proposal before Laurie.

            On top of these unexpected revelations, I was also astounded by how different some of the known characters are in the book. Jo March may not be conventional, but she knows her limits. She might shock people, but she never goes so far as to scandalize. I feel like many movie adaptions give Jo a decidedly feminist ideology, but I saw no hint of that in the book. Granted, Jo gets upset with conventions. It strikes me more as her being annoyed with anything that goes against her blunt mannerisms than some type of ideal though. The only reason I can fathom for that feminist tone in the movies is others projecting Louisa May Alcott's feminist thoughts onto Jo March.

Amy also threw me through a loop. She is the one that many people love to hate. I didn't get that impression with the book. Yes, she could be a selfish and petty when she was a child. But she grew up to be a very sweet woman and to be a good sister to Jo. Jo even says that she thought Laurie and Amy should marry because they’re a perfect match. There was no animosity, hurt, or regret between Jo and Amy over Laurie. I was also happy to see more than a brief mention of Mr. March. Movies seem to relegate Mr. March to the background, but he is much more active in the book. He appears over and again to teach the girls, give them spiritual advice, and spend time with their growing families.

            Another aspect that surprised me was the events in the book. Of course, I know that movies always cut out scenes. I just never realized how altered Little Women has become. These events that I wasn’t familiar with added so much depth to the characters and their stories. It gave me a better understanding of them and how they approached the difficulties of life. For instance, Amy participates in a fair and has a falling out with the hostess and her daughter. How Amy and the March family handle it gives the first real insight into how much Amy has changed. The reader gets a glimpse into how much depth her character has developed over the years. Another scene I was not familiar with was Jo and Beth going to the seaside. Being able to see how Beth was handling her failing health and lingering worries made me not only love her more but also admire Jo with her reaction.

            The final aspect that I was not expecting but truly enjoyed was the moral tone. Every chapter had a lesson. Summed together, they become a book about the two important parts of life: love and faith. The family stays together and loves each other through everything. They guide each other through life with the basis of faith and choosing the higher road. The March sisters try hard to emulate Christian in Pilgrim’s Progress and each benefit from it. I feel like the book might stress striving for perfection a little too much, but I know that for the period it was a common outlook in religion. Besides, the main point is that the March family learned what was important in life. They were rich because they had each other, their faith, and the godly love that they shared with everyone.

            Overall, I found the book so delightful that I’ve already begun to read Little Men with the intention of continuing through Jo’s Boys. I want to follow the March family through the entire trilogy. I love how sweet Meg's daughter Daisy is because she reminds me of Beth. Demi, Meg’s son, appears to be a mixture of the March sisters because he is both impressively smart and a little mischievous. The books have changed my opinion of the March sisters and made me appreciate their role in popular culture even more.

            Every generation seems to have been affected in some way by the March sisters. They’ve left an impression on me about growing up and how much family influences a person. I’ve also concluded that I love the book the best. The movie adaptions are good, but it is hard to top the original. No matter one's opinion, everyone will likely agree that Little Women will continue to influence many generations to follow. Just the same, I wouldn’t mind hearing your opinion. Which sister is your favorite? Or the real trick question: Which movie adaption is the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment